Monday, April 12, 2010

Where My Mind Lies.

It wasn't a particularly striking day, just an ordinary Wednesday. Same old, morning breeze and tardy school bus. The clouds were different though that morning. Not that clouds are ever the same, but it had a tinge of washed colours in it.

With the salmon sky above my head I made my way to class. Counting the pavements as I stride, careful to skip every other tile which results in a pace commendable of a marching soldier. The crunching sound of trampled brown leaves added an extra clarity to the crisp morning. The morning I lost my mind.

Class proceeded as usual, with me paying attention only in the first 30 minutes and spending the remaining hour and a half roaming worlds within me. I considered myself a practical person with a penchant for the whimsical and fantastical only when it suits me. In other words, I was terribly volatile albeit in a silent manner. I would implode every now and then but I never, ever, concerned others. Alas, I was not a butterfly who flits around and mingle.

Miscellaneous details aside, it was on the way back that I lost my mind. The sun was setting (the bus was always tardy), like any other sunsets, the sky was lit with a brilliance that was always surreal. I stared at a cloud that seemed to retreat with the evening shadows and then, there was nothing left. A complete nothingness welled in me and I felt as if a great hand had squashed me flat. Everything that was me, was no more.

With an empty head I made my way to my room and waited for my mind to return. Perhaps it was not such a bad thing, to lose one's mind to such a beautiful phenomena such as a sunset. Don't you think? Thus, from then on, I would look at the clouds knowing my mind was among them. Free and unrestrained. I would always smile and wink at my mind, lost in the clouds.

2 comments:

i am mai said...

hey, ko tak boleh start first!

a pink sunset?

ehniwei, please, please do.

boxOFjuice said...

Haha, aku dah start :P

Not quite. The sunrise was pink not the sunset. I deliberately made it so.

Post yours next~