Monday, April 26, 2010

It's not May yet.

I know, I know. I intended not to blog about anything til May. But hey, I 'intend' a LOT of things. Sue me. Anyway, I just feel like sharing my unfortunate experience of the IELTS exam I took last Friday and Saturday.

I barely slept the night before thanks to mr. Rain. It rained heavily that night and when it does, the rooftop thingy over my window makes a TONNE of racket with the rain drops pelting it and all. Finally fell asleep at 3:45A.M. And so, I was pretty much half asleep during the reading, listening and writing exams.

SPEAKING - Okay I guess. I mean, it wasn't 'Good' but it wasn't 'Disastrous' either. Kind of like a mini train wreck shall we say?

READING - Again, okay. It wasn't too hard.

LISTENING - Is Okay too.

Let's get to the point of this post shall we?

WRITING.

Yeap. This, I totally screwed this up. First things first, there's two parts to this component. The report bit I did okay I think. It's the other part.

Question:

"Everyone in the world wants to own a car, television set and refrigerator. Does the disadvantages of these developments to the society outweigh the advantages?"

Something like that.

I wrote an extremely shitty answer coloured with undertones of my repressed...'mind' that surfaced due to my being sleepy. The subconscious is a lethal part of your mind if not restrained appropriately, I assure you.

Firstly, I concluded the statement was about 'materialism'.

Then I came up with wild ideas. I even used the word 'ineffectual' at some point in the essay.

And I definitely remember writing these: 'the world will fall to its ruin' and 'humanity will become extinct' and 'social class gap akin to that of kings and slaves of medieval times'.

Get the picture?

My 'essay' was basically a rant on the vices of materialism to humanity.

I particularly despise the word 'ineffectual' now. Thanks to my utilising that particular word in my disastrous piece of writing. Lack of sleep taxed my reserves so I grabbed at anything that flitted through my fatigued mind.

The word 'ineffectual' I only found out about a couple of hours before the exams. I was reading James Joyce's 'A Potrait Of The Artist As A Young Man' in the bus on the way to college to keep myself from falling asleep.

That's all. I'm gonna go study now.

5 comments:

i am mai said...

young lovely and bold daedalus. haaaaaaaaaaaa..

oh well. 'social class gap akin to that of kings and slaves of medieval times'.... how inappropriate.

DayanaAsilah said...

0oh...i hope u can still score it tho leana.i'm sure its not that bad..anyway i think the book 'a potrait of an artist...' dont know why but its pretty weird and sleepy. mind to tell me what's interesting bout the book? :)

boxOFjuice said...

Mai - Lovely indeed. I adore him, yet I also despise him. And yeah, HIGHLY inappropriate. God knows what else I wrote in that darned paper.

Dayana - I hope so too. Oh it's a beautiful book by James Joyce. Borrowed it from the library. Maybe ur library has it too? KMB ada tak ya?

It's about Stephen Dedalus the hero. Bout his gradual silent revolt against his upbringing in an environment heavily influenced by the catholic church and Irish living, something like that. The prose is absolutely beautiful.

Here's some of my favourites:

"Pride and hope and desire, like crushed herbs in his heart, sent up vapours of maddening incense into the eyes of his mind."

and

"...a leader afraid of his own authority, proud and sensitive and suspicious, battling against the squalor of his life and against the riot of his mind."

There's a bunch more I can't wholly remember.

Kalau takde kat library, online pun ada: http://books.google.com.my/books?id=ULCMPSlsAaQC&printsec=frontcover&dq=james+joyce&cd=1#v=onepage&q&f=false

Bacalah. It is heralded as the 3rd best english literature book in the 20th Century :)

i am mai said...

... or beli je kat kedai. 8.50 je kut. if you're lucky, la

boxOFjuice said...

Yeah, sume buku Penguin yg hijau Rm8.50. Kat kinokuniya ada. MPH tarak.