Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Farewell, Dedalus.


I'm done reading it, returned it to the library just now. Am very very sad to have parted with it. For once, I feel like snatching a book from a library haha but I didn't! Honest. I really did return the book, very grudgingly so, but I did.

I know it's illegal and all to underline and scribble stuff in library books but what the heck, I'm the first person in two years to borrow it! It's not like I wrote anything bad in it. I scribbled a couple of words only anyway. Shouldn't matter much. I underline the bits that I love because honestly, the prose! Absolutely beautiful!

Here's some of my faves:

"...for the words, so beautiful and sad, like music."

"Pride and hope and desire, like crushed herbs in his heart sent up vapours of maddening incense into the eyes of his mind."

"...a leader afraid of his own authority, proud and sensitive, battling against the squalor of his life and against the riot of his mind."

"...His thinking was a dusk of doubt and selfmistrust, lit up by the lightnings of intuition, but lightnings of so clear a spelndour that in those moments the world perished about his feet as if it had been fire consumed: and thereafter his tongue grew heavy and he met the eyes of others with unanswering eyes for he felt that the spirit of beauty had folded him round like a mantle and that in reverie at least he had been acquainted with nobility."

"Pity is the feeling which arrests the mind in the presence of whatsoever is grave and constant in human sufferings and unites it with the sufferer. Terror is the feeling which arrests the mind in the presence of whatsoever is grave and constant in human sufferings and unites it with the secret cause."

There's like a BUNCH more I'd like to post up but esh, that would be excessive. Stephen Dedalus, beautiful, Stephen Dedalus. I adore him, yet I despise him too. It's difficult to explain why.

At any rate, I did finish studying Biology last night so I that I'd be able to have my slice of escapism. Haha.



____________________________________________________________________

P.S: This is sort of terrible...but, I got my hands on:

- 'The Image Of Chekov: Forty Stories by Anton Chekov in the Order in Which They Were Written' with an introduction by Robert Payne.

- 'The Stories of Vladimir Nobokov'. A compilation of Nobokov's short stories.

I intend to read these during my semester break beginning 17th, well okay, 21st May. I've BTN starting 17th May til 21st, in Sepang :S

No comments: