Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Turn Off The Gravity

Finally, I have a definite goal to aim for. Yes, I've found out the TER I need to score in order to secure a conditional offer to study DENTISTRY in University of OTAGO, New Zealand. Here's what I need:


TER96


I've been obsessing over this since I set foot in INTEC. Like eghhh. All I needed to do is fill in the enquiry form at SELSET's official page, here: http://www.selset-newzealand.com/contactus.htm
So simple, should've figured this out earlier. All those hours I spent scouring sites, blogs and what not to

Anyway, got a feedback a couple of hours after I submitted the form. Which is neat! :D Those peeps working in SELSET are doing their job right. Kudos to them. For future references, I shall put up my enquiry and the feedback I received so that if there're noobs like me out there looking for this sometime in the future might find it here :)


Enquiry: I'm an AUSMAT 21 student studying in INTEC, UiTM Shah Alam on JPA's scholarship and is also NEW ZEALAND bound.

JPA offered me to study DENTISTRY in UNIVERSITY OF OTAGO.

I've checked the official site of UNI of OTAGO and found out that DENTISTRY students will have to complete HEALTH SCIENCE first before continuing 2nd yr in Dentistry.

[Yes, everyone going for medical related studies such as dental surgery must go through the Health Science First Year before qualifying into the 2ndyear]

The requirements table at the site stated that the TER requirement for Health Science is TER85. JPA's cut off point is TER90 but I know that the real TER requirement to do DENTISTRY in Otago is higher.

[The University website listed entry requirement is for “the rest of the world” so to speak. This way of entry is that you of into HSFY, you must attain 1syears HSFY results of A or better in order to be qualified to be into the section for entry into the 2nyear. To be selected, you will need to meet the academic (HSFY academic results standard), obtained a good UMAT test results, pass the interview process. If all goes well then you will be offer to continue your studies in the 2nd year of dental surgery.



If you apply through our Centre, we will submit your application around Aug 2010 using your mid term results at INTEC. The University will then do a selection for interview, they will come in to INTEC and interview students who have been selected for interview. If you have been successful in the interview , you will be given a Conditional offer of place to Health Sciences First Year (pending meeting the TER entry requirement to HSFY – currently it is at TER >=96). You will also be give a Conditional Offer into second year of Dental Surgery (pending the stated grades you must obtain – B+ average)]

So, I would like to know exactly what is the TER requirement for a JPA scholar student like me to study dentistry in Otago?

[For JPA cut off, you will need to check with JPA we are not able to comment]

Thank you for lending your time to read this. Hope to get a reply soon :)

SUBMIT: Submit



Yeap. SELSET peeps are good. The stuff in blue is what I wrote, then they replied through e-mail like that. I coloured the replies in red so you can see em' clearly. That just shows they really read my enquiry and clarified things thoroughly instead of just telling me I need TER96 end of story. Haha.

To get TER96 I'm estimating a minimum of a 20, and a combination of 18s and/or 17s for the 5 SACE papers I need to sit for in November. I've done my homework regarding this, asked around for the info. A friend of a friend of mine got TER97.25 with a 20 and a combination of 18s and 17s. So that's what I'll need. Oh, do note that 17+ is an A. 16 is B.

That's that then. TER96, be mine. Turn off the gravity and let me fly...

No comments: