Thursday, December 3, 2009

My Loot

I, have been keeping myself busy. Well, 'busy' as in, I've been doing enough stuff so as to not let my brain cells rot due to sheer boredom. Yeap. I hang out with friends and cousins, bought some books, read them, play the piano alot, watch movies, drive around :) The usual. Just, living.


Speaking of books, this is my loot. From the Big Bad Wolf Book Sale in Amcorp Mall. Went twice. With Mai mai & Adi then with Mom and auntie on the last day because all the books go at RM5 on the last day hehe.

My Loot:

1. Bright Shiny Morning (James Frey) - RM8

2. The Gone-Away World (Nick Harkaway) - RM8

3. Two Little Boys (Duncan Sarkies) - RM8

4. Penguins Stopped Play (Harry Thompson) - RM8

5. Fairyland (Paul J. McAuley) - RM5

6. Silverhorse (Lene Kaaberbol) - RM 5

7. The Raw Shark Texts (Steven Hall) - RM5


TOTAL = RM47.00


Of the 7 books, I'm done with Two Little Boys by Duncan Sarkies which I picked up from the 'Children's Section'. Clearly, the staff judged the book by its cover and deemed it to be a Kid's books. That book is ANYTHING, BUT, suitable for kids. Uhuh. Yeah. I'll describe it in four words: CRASS, TWISTED, PSYCHOTIC, FUNNY. It's funny alright, in a dark, obscene (plenty of this =_= 'F' word all over the space) kind of way. I've never really liked dark humour but I get the stuff in Two Little Boys. Duncan Sarkies the author, is definitely mental I think :-/ But still, I shall keep an eye on his future books.

Two Little Boys...gosh, I can't put the plot into words. Egh, anyway, it's about uh, two guys, a dead Norwegian backpaker, a Maori dude, an absolutely SCREWED up friendship, and New Zealand. Haha yeah. The story is set in New Zealand. Specifically in Otago, Dunedin in NZ. Which is also EXACTLY the place I'm heading to early 2011 (University Of Otago, insya'Allah). So, it creeped me out A LOT the book. EGhhh.

Enough of that.

I've also read a bit of Bright Shiny Morning by James Frey. It's like...well, so far, I deem it a books without a beginning or an ending (perhaps). Just the relentless drumbeat of multiple lives of the people in metropolitan L.A. Their, hopes, dreams & fears. It's like a painting in words. This book is also thick as heck, so I'll treat it like an old friend. You know, the kind of book you can read, then just leave it a while. Once you start reading it again, the story can still be grasped, the kind of book that greets you with open arms. No complex, twisty yada yada plot.

At the moment though, I'm reading The Raw Shark Texts by Steven Hall. So far, I find it very intersting indeed. Quoting Mark Haddon (He wrote 'The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night Time'), "Very entertaining. The bastard love-child of The Matrix, Jaws and The Da Vinci Code." Get the picture? Haha. Oh yea, this book will be turned into a Motion Picture soon, I think. Well, it says so on the last page. Just noticed that. :-/

Hm, I feel like mentioning this. You know, when I read a particular book that I kinda can relate to, or I think is awesome, I'd write a letter to the author. Yes, I do. And I never post it or e-mail it or whatever. Lame huh? I don't know. Somehow, by the time I'm done writing what's on my mind, they end up being, kinda personal. *sigh*

Anyway, what else?

Nyee, I don't know. Life is pleasant in general. I'm happy :) and I'd like to keep thoughts of 4th of January 2010 far far away from my mind. Yeah, I've still got 5 weeks of holiday and I can already feel the blues skirting at the edges of my mind. It's annoying.

One more thing, my little brother Adi got circumcised today haha. He's a real 'boy' now.


4 comments:

boxOFjuice said...

Ah, Mai. I DID thought of asking you to come too but since you didn't reply my text (out of credit?) and got rid of your FB I couldn't get a hold of you. Guessed weren't interested. Maybe I should've call but I didn't wanna pester you.

Nyeh. Ain's back. Am thinking of going to the movies on Monday with her and Munirah. Wanna come?

Adila's birthday is on wednesday but she'll be back by thursday...we can celebrate on Friday I guess.

That baking a cake thing, egh. My mom wasn't so keen on me making a mess of the kitchen it seems. Hmm...maybe we should just eat out, watch a movie together instead of going on Monday.

The more the merrier, no?

i am mai said...

wasn't me. sorry.

boxOFjuice said...

...Shit. Now I'm freaked. What did I do? 'Hate' is a strong word.

Anonymous, I'm sorry. Whoever you are. I am. Whatever it is that I did that offended you, forgive me.

I can't have people hating me. No...

Maya Arielle said...

isk. mau. i always love grotesque stuffs. i always love books. and i ALWAYS love cheap books. heh.