Wednesday, June 24, 2009

CARPE DIEM


Last night, I had the pleasure of watching a 1989 film titled DEAD POETS SOCIETY. Truly an awe-inspiring masterpiece. This multiple award winning film is set in 1959 at a conservative and aristocratic boys prep school, it tells the story of an English teacher, John Keating (Robin Williams) who inspires his students to change their lives of conformity through his teaching of poetry and literature. This film is a modern interpretation of the transcendentalist movement.


I confess, I watched the movie simply because I knew that Robert Sean Leonard (a.k.a Wilson of HOUSE MD) is in it. Robert Sean Leonard plays one of John Keating's students, Neil Perry. I did not expect to be moved and inspired by the themes presented in the DEAD POETS SOCIETY. I love the extensive contradictions between romanticism and realism throughout the film. To put it simply, I believe that the concept of 'Carpe diem' which is a latin term meaning 'Seize the Day' that John Keating (Robin Williams) taught his class, if exercised correctly is actually a positive notion.

I shall say no more. To give away plot lines of this wonderful film should be a crime ;) Dear, reader, if you haven't watch DEAD POETS SOCIETY , please do. You can find it on YouTube here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1vK9FDLaqHg or you can download the whole movie with Ares.

Before I end this I would like to post a poem that I penned immediately after watching the film. Believe me, the film is truly, very inspiring indeed.


I seek what most men seek,
A means of living to sustain life,
A reason to live, for being alive,
For nought is triumphant without motivation.

This fleeting journey is flashing past,
Some go about it timidly, some boldly,
I've chosen what I deemed practical,
To be rid off off poverty, to live righteously.

My beliefs in tune with my aspirations,
It has always been what I dreamt of achieving,
A balance between abstaining and succumbing to temptations,
To believe in romanticism yet be grounded by religion.

I've chosen what I deemed essential,
A career driven not by passion,
But a career to drive my passion,
The ultimate tool for my future endeavours.

I wish to reach out to the world,
To assist in charitable acts that glorify mankind,
To achieve Immortality through philantropy,
To taste the satisfactions of an unsung hero.

Thus I shall not wait around,
With my own two hands, I shall and I will,
'Sieze the day' as they flit past,
This is my testimonial to the world.

Carpe diem!


4 comments:

Aiman Toreq said...

DAMN...
you watched it at ASTRO or what?
I'm sure they'll be reruns if it's at ASTRO...

ROBERT SEAN LEONARD LOOK SOOO BLOOOOODY YOUNG!!!!!!

haha...

boxOFjuice said...

I downloaded it using Ares. Ares is nifty, you should download it.

Oh yeah! Robert is realllyyyy young then. He was 21. His character in the movie is a 17 year old. He LOOKS & SOUNDS 17 haha. Cute as heck.

Aiman Toreq said...

I download all my House episodes using Ares Destiny ver 3.0.0.3805..

haha...
we the same version?

boxOFjuice said...

Uuu, I think mine is 2.1.1.3035 Urs is more updated. Shouldn't be a problem then.

Well then, download away~ You shan't be disappointed :)