Tuesday, November 16, 2010

My apologies

Candle-lit faces, Candle-lit gazes


Last night was AUSMAT 21's grand dinner. I went and that is to be considered an achievement (yeah, boo-hoo I'm a loser). I mean, I paid RM80 and all. I believe, it's the first time I ever went to any social gathering (of such scale) quite so willingly. I really wanted to see everybody all dressed up and happy and stuff.

It was nice. I don't know. I wimped out when everybody started singing at the end of the dinner. I left. It was dark so people didn't really notice.

It was dark because the committee planned a surprise gift thingy for the lecturers. They gave twenty of us one of those small perfumed candles and had another twenty carrying roses and a small gift follow us in the dark to where the lecturers sat. The candle bearers stood in a circle around the lecturers' table, the gift bearers handed their gifts, then the lecturers blew each of the candles out. Pagan much? Hahah. Naww, it was nice. Some of the lecturers actually cried and that probably worthed much more than RM80 I'd say.

It was after the candle-gift event that the singing started. It was still dark while I made my getaway. Pretty darn rude of me to sneak off like that and not tell my classmates. They looked nice in the diffused light and I want to remember them like that. I only bid farewell to Alia (fellow victim of Otago's mass interview slaughter session. Egh, I'm just sore. Ignore me). She insisted that I at least say goodbye to the others but I just gave her hand another squeeze, an apologetic smile and left.

I bet she cried when the singing ended. She's such a nice person and she always cries when things gets a bit, uh, 'feely' and I don't want to see her cry. Saw her cry plenty of times already. After the interview, after the interview results came out, at the class party... so none of that for me.

Blame my conspicuous avoidant nature but really I just don't want to say goodbye and that's that. Hopefully, I won't ever have to say goodbye to any of them at any point in the near or not-so-near future. Let everything stay as if we'll all just meet up in class tomorrow (though thank god NOT! Haha).

Thus the end of the College phase. What's next remains to be seen.


_________________________________________________

P.S:

I've finished reading 3 of my Big Bad Wolf purchases. One was crappy (Exurbia by Molly McGrann), the other two were absolutely brilliant (The Reminder by Rune Michaels & Beat The Reaper by Josh Bazell). Also, Beat The Reaper has this 'medical/mobster' game at its website. If you have nothing to do, then do click.

Exurbia was an unplanned purchase anyway. *sigh* Never judge 'Young Adult' books by their covers. Never. Not that Exurbia's cover is particularly attractive anyway though.

2 comments:

Maya Arielle said...

Leana! Me and Linda were just about to take a pic together with you (you know, us having no 'housemate pics' of any sort), tengok2 awak dah balik. Too bad we didn't have the chance to say goodbye :(
By the way, saya hutang awak rm33. Nanti saya bank-in sebab semalam nak bagi tak sempat XP

Anyhoo, thanks for being a wonderful housemate. You taught me a lot, and I really appreciate that. See you at NZ!

boxOFjuice said...

Yeah I know! THAT is probably the number one thing I wish I've stayed to do actually :S Cuz Linda mentioned so while we were holding them candles and I was like 'Parents dah tunggu tapi...' > . < Maaf ye. You n your pretty outfit and linda all dressy~ Nyeee. Sorry =.='

NZ....haahaa. Hopefully alrite. Hopefully. N it's okay. Also, if you're really coming to comic fiesta you can totally stay over at my place :D