Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Veterinary Attachment Day 1

Hong Hong


I'm going to apply for Veterinary Science in Massey University, New Zealand. Uhuh, yeap. In order to do so, I have to sort of work for a minimum of 10 days. It's a pre-requisite that needs to be fulfilled & today was my first day. I'm doing my attachment at UPM's vet clinic.

Saw lots of cats. The one up there, is the 2nd patient I saw. He's Hong Hong. He's being warded because he's constipated. A chunk of poop is stuck in his butt. Poor boy. Oh yea, his treatment costed the owner RM365.00. Expensive aite? One kitty, costed his owner RM440.00!

Aside from sick cats and healthy kittens that needs vaccination, I also got to see a couple of dogs. One of em' had a sort of skin disease, so the doctor took a sample of it's fur and put it under a microscope. I got to see the parasite. It was moving and all. Fascinating stuff.

Oh, I got to watch this FLV and FIV test thingy too. I don't really remember what FIV & FLV stands for but one of em' is like cat AIDS and the other has something to do with...the cat developing lymphoma.

And there was this cat who got bitten by a dog. I fed him a pill. The doctors were cleaning his wounds and bandaging him and stuff. He has a pretty big hole on his tummy. Like, you can see the muscle and meat inside of him and all. Looks painful.

Medicine Cabinet

PMR (Patient Medical Record)


All the doctors are nice & friendly. Since I lack social skills, most of the time I just smile when the staff stare at me. I had the stuff blue lab coat on, so they thought I'm a new member.

In essence, I've come to the conclusion that being a vet is like being a doctor + scientist. You meet the patient and its owner. Ask em' what's wrong. Ask questions & come up with a diagnosis. Do some treatment and plan further treatment. Run tests (using chemicals & stuff & the microscope) and dispense medicines.

I now have some perspective on what it's like being a vet and a dentist. From what I've seen, being a dentist is much more relaxing.

All in all, an interesting day it was. 9 more days to go.

3 comments:

Maya Arielle said...

Awww, totally interesting! Makes me wanna switch course to vet science dem dem dem

sayaaimanblack said...

eeekkk! bez! bez!

boxOFjuice said...

Maya - Nyee, you HAVE to become a pharmacists. You gotta go find a cure for rhinitis!

Aiman - yeah. Best la juga :)